Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Monsopiad Cultural Village

Monsopiad Cultural Village is the traditional kadazandusun village in Sabah built to commemorate the life and times of their legendary ancestor and head-hunter warrior: monsopiad and also to maintain a link with their Kadazan past. To experience the Kadazandusun culture, this is a must visit place!


Upon arrival, we were treated to a welcome drink, lihing/tapai (rice wine) served in a bamboo cup - 'Suki', a swig of this potent drink will warm you straight up. I loved this drink very much~

While we were enjoying the rice wine, some traditional dances and music were being performed in the stage. We can also try their hunting skills with the indigenous blow-pipe or perform the breathtakingly fast head-hunters dance, the Anggalang/Magunatip. All in all one will be amazed with the show put on by the people there, many of whom are descendents of monsopiad the warrior himself.

After the cultural show, we were brought to the House of Skulls, where cultural artifacts of the Monsopiad tribe is stored. A famous warrior named Monsopiad defended his village three hundred years ago. So great was his power, that no enemy could match him. Throughout his live, Monsopiad took 42 skulls as a proof of his prowess. The skulls are now being looked after by his direct descendants, who adhere faithfully to the old customs and traditions, testimony of an old and proud culture.

In the centre of the village, a large stone monolith "Gintutun do Mohoing", a silent witness to many legends of Monsopiad, was once used for human sacrifice; the victim was tied to it and killed with bamboo spears. Tall bamboo poles surround it, the top of each is cup-shaped to hold a severed head as it dried in the open air. It is said that the stone is inhabited by spirits from the past. Today, many people visit the stone for luck.

5 comments:

CFC said...

Wei, if you were going to KK, let me know earlier as I have a good friend there who can show you the place better and which place to avoid. Hope you went to that Waterfront or something.

Blueyebabe said...

ohh..it's ok. it was an adventruous trip that we explored and find the way ourself, so that we can see a lot more compare to take those tour package.

The Waterfront u mention shud be the kota kinabalu city where the Warisan Square located, ya we have been there too.

rockstar@thedarkness.com said...

i thought waterfront's in kuching?

Nex said...

I'm that 'friend' CFC is talking about...he he he

And guess what? I've never been to the "Monsopiad Cultural Village", or most other 'touristy' places. I also have never set foot on Labuan. Shy or not?

Yes Kuching has a waterfront, but now the KK town council also want to have a waterfront (well more like a 'seafront'). But their plans are being temporarily put on hold pending a review, due to protests from residents of the Marina court, because the development would rob them of the sea view, which was why they paid an arm and a leg for the condominiums.

Blueyebabe said...

oic, thanks Nex..

I have been visit to Labuan oso.. but that place is quite dull, nothing to be shout about. I was so disappointed of what I saw when landed in Labuan. It is like a village. I keep on scratch head wondering why Tun Mahathir want it to become a Wilayah?

モモ Momo

PitaPata Dog tickers

ビビ Bibi

PitaPata Dog tickers